As an avid home cook and kitchen gear enthusiast, I’m always on the lookout for versatile pots and pans that can simplify my cooking. Lately, I’ve been seeing the Always Pan from Our Place all over my Instagram feed. This stylish pan promises to replace 8 pieces of traditional cookware with its ceramic nonstick coating and sleek design. But the beautiful exterior had me wondering – is the Always Pan dishwasher safe?
This pan seems perfect for quick weeknight meals, from frying eggs to searing chicken. But its unique coating likely requires some special care. In this post, I’ll provide a definitive answer on whether the Always Pan can handle the harsh dishwasher environment. We’ll look at recommendations from the manufacturer, examine how the dishwasher can damage the coating over time, and I’ll offer my tips to properly handwash and care for your Always Pan.
You’ll get the info you need to make an informed decision when purchasing this popular pot. I’ll equip you with best practices to preserve the nonstick surface and maximize the lifespan of your Always Pan. Let’s dive in!
- The Always Pan is technically dishwasher safe, but handwashing is strongly recommended by the manufacturer to preserve the ceramic nonstick coating. (Source: Manufacturer)
- Harsh dishwasher detergents and high heat can degrade the ceramic coating over time with regular use. (Source: My Research)
- Letting the pan fully cool before washing is crucial to prevent warping of the aluminum body. (Source: My Research)
- Handwashing gently with mild detergent and a soft sponge is ideal for the ceramic coating. (Source: My Research)
- The cast aluminum body heats quickly and evenly on all stovetops. (Source: Manufacturer)
Is the Always Pan Dishwasher Safe?
The Always Pan is not dishwasher safe. It is recommended to hand wash the pan with soapy water and a sponge. This will help to prolong the life of the nonstick coating.
Even though this versatile pan is marketed as a kitchen multitasker, is it truly dishwasher safe? Let’s examine the official stance from Our Place.
The Official Stance from the Manufacturer
While the Always Pan is technically dishwasher safe, Our Place strongly recommends handwashing to preserve the ceramic nonstick coating. The abrasive detergents and high heat of the dishwasher can degrade the coating over time. Our Place also cautions against temperature shocks – don’t plunge a hot pan into cold water.
For best results, allow the pan to fully cool after cooking, then wash by hand with warm water and mild soap. No need for abrasive scouring pads either. Let’s look at the ideal handwashing method next.
Handwashing Instructions for the Always Pan
To safely clean the Always Pan by hand, follow these steps:
- Allow pan to fully cool after cooking. Never immerse a hot pan in cold water.
- Use mild dish soap and warm water. Avoid harsh detergents.
- Gently wash with a soft sponge or cloth. No abrasive scouring pads.
- Completely dry with a towel to prevent mineral deposits.
Pretty straightforward! Now let’s examine why the dishwasher can actually ruin the always pan’s coating when used regularly over time.
Why the Dishwasher Can Damage the Ceramic Coating
While Our Place assures their pan is dishwasher safe, regular dishwasher use is not recommended. But why exactly can the dishwasher degrade the ceramic coating on the Always Pan? There are two main factors:
The extremely high heat of the dishwasher drying cycle exceeds the temperatures that the Always Pan’s coating is designed to withstand. Like all ceramic and ceramic coatings, prolonged exposure to heat outside of the designed range can cause structural damage and breakdown of the nonstick surface.
While the Always Pan is safe in the oven up to 450°F, dishwashers can reach well above that. So repeated trips through blistering dishwasher heat will degrade the coating’s integrity over time.
In addition to intense heat, the harsh detergents used in most dishwashers can be too strong for the ceramic-coated surface of the Always Pan. The chemicals and abrasive formulas strip away at the coating with each wash cycle. Slowly but surely, this wears down the nonstick properties.
Between the heat and detergent, it’s easy to see why the manufacturer strongly suggests handwashing to extend the lifespan of the Always Pan’s coating. But what’s the best way to handwash and care for this popular pan?
Key Takeaway: The high heat and harsh detergents in dishwashers can slowly damage the Always Pan’s ceramic coating over time, wearing down the nonstick surface.
Proper Care for Your Always Pan
To safely clean and care for your Always Pan, follow these do’s and don’ts from Our Place:
Handwash, Don’t Soak
- Wash by hand with warm water and mild detergent after pan fully cools.
- Use a soft sponge, never abrasive scouring pads.
- Completely dry with a towel to prevent mineral deposits from forming.
Avoid Metal Utensils
- Metal spatulas, spoons, or whisks can scratch the ceramic coating.
- Use wood, silicone or plastic utensils instead.
Don’t Overheat an Empty Pan
- Heating an empty pan can degrade the coating over time.
- Keep heat under medium when cooking empty.
Tip: If any burnt bits are stuck to the pan, try filling with warm water and letting it soak before handwashing. Avoid abrasive scrubbing.
While not oven or broiler safe, the Always Pan’s aluminum core does conduct stovetop heat quickly and evenly. The manufacturers designed the pan for moderate stove cooking, so excessive burning could damage the coating.
By the way, while handwashing is tedious, the maintenance required by this stylish pan is quite minimal compared to traditional cast iron!
Safer Alternatives to the Always Pan
While handwashing the Always Pan is doable, if you prefer the ease of regular dishwasher use, consider these more durable alternatives:
- Cast iron pans become naturally nonstick when properly seasoned.
- Can withstand incredibly high stovetop and oven temps.
- Much heavier than the lightweight Always Pan.
- More maintenance required to keep seasoning intact.
- Most durable and indestructible cookware option.
- Requires more oil for an easy food release when cooking.
- Works with all utensil types since no special coating.
- Heavier weight than ceramic nonstick.
Enamel Dutch Oven
- Colorful, chip-resistant ceramic enamel exterior.
- Nonstick when interior is properly seasoned with oil.
- Safe for both stovetop and oven use.
- Heavier than the Always Pan but lighter than bare cast iron.
Having said that, while these alternatives are indestructible, they lack the sleek style of Our Place’s beautifully designed pan. For me, the Always Pan’s good looks might be worth the extra handwashing!
Key Takeaway: More durable alternatives like cast iron, stainless steel, and enamel Dutch ovens can handle regular dishwasher use but lack the aesthetic appeal of the Always Pan.
FAQs About The Always Pan
Before deciding if you should purchase the Always Pan, here are answers to some frequently asked questions:
Is the Always Pan oven safe?
Yes, the Always Pan is oven safe up to 450°F. The manufacturers don’t recommend high oven heat for prolonged periods, as this can degrade the ceramic coating over time.
Does the Always Pan work on induction stovetops?
The Always Pan is designed to work on all stovetop types, including induction. The aluminum body allows full contact with induction burners.
How heavy is the Always Pan?
The pan itself weighs 3 pounds. The included lid weighs 1 pound. It’s lighter than cast iron or steel pans.
By the way, while not the lightest option, the Always Pan is far from heavy or cumbersome to maneuver. The ergonomic handle makes lifting comfortable.
Summary: Should You Use The Dishwasher With the Always Pan?
While Our Place claims the Always Pan is dishwasher safe, they strongly recommend handwashing instead. The intense heat and harsh detergents inside dishwashers can gradually degrade the nonstick ceramic coating.
Allow the pan to fully cool after cooking, then handwash with mild soap and a soft sponge. Never use abrasive pads. Completely dry to prevent mineral deposits from forming. Avoid metal utensils, and don’t overheat the empty pan.
With proper care and handwashing, your Always Pan’s nonstick properties can last for years. But if you must have dishwasher-safe cookware, more durable options like cast iron or stainless steel are recommended.
So in the end, is the Always Pan dishwasher safe? Technically yes, but handwashing is best for the coating. I hope this breakdown helps you decide if Always Pan’s good looks are worth the extra effort. Let me know if you have any other questions!